WASHINGTON — U.S. President Donald Trump has called for South Korea to pay $10 billion annually toward the cost of maintaining U.S. troops in the country, raising the issue during a White House press conference while discussing his recent conversation with South Korean President Lee Jae-myung.
Trump said he asked Lee to assist the United States with its military operation involving Iran, but the request was declined. He questioned why the United States should continue spending billions of dollars to defend South Korea, saying, “We have 39,000 soldiers over there, guarding you from Kim Jong Un, your next-door neighbor.”
The official U.S. troop presence in South Korea is about 28,500 personnel, rather than the 39,000 figure cited by Trump.
South Korea's Current Payment
South Korea has shared the cost of hosting U.S. forces since 1991 through the Special Measures Agreement (SMA). The current agreement covers 2026 through 2030 and sets Seoul's 2026 contribution at ₩1.5192 trillion, with future payments adjusted according to South Korea's consumer price index and annual increases capped at 5 percent.
The SMA covers expenses including local personnel working at U.S. bases, logistical support and construction of military facilities.
Trump also said that during his first term he had sought a $10 billion annual payment from South Korea. He said Seoul had agreed to nearly $3 billion with further increases planned, but that the arrangement was later changed under the Biden administration. Public records, however, do not show a finalized $3 billion multi-year agreement from that period.
Joint Military Exercises Reduced
Trump has also directed Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth to substantially reduce U.S.-South Korean military exercises, criticizing their cost and describing them as inappropriate and hostile toward North Korea. He cited his relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and said North Korea had been respectful toward him.
The annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise began on August 17 and was scheduled to run through August 27. Despite Trump's directive, South Korea said the exercise would proceed as previously scheduled.
The U.S.-South Korea alliance is based on the 1953 Mutual Defense Treaty, while defense cost-sharing has remained a recurring issue between Washington and Seoul. Trump's latest demand would be a major increase from the contribution established under the current SMA.
——— End of Article ———